Friday, January 23, 2009

Step #10: Relaxation, and How I measure up to Martha

Step #10 in Martha's plan for healthy living is Relaxation. When I read this, I laughed. Heartily. Does Martha really have the time to relax? She admits that she doesn't dedicate time to relaxation on a daily basis, but whenever possible, she relaxes by reading (on her Kindle, of course) or by watching a movie. And she does take some amazing vacations to unwind.

And then I thought about what I do for relaxation, and I laughed. Heartily. When do I have time for relaxation? Within moments, that raucous laughter petered out to a weak chuckle followed by whimpering. Relaxation is a good thing, and I do need to make it a priority for at least a few minutes each day. I often feel I don't have time, but I will, once I tear myself away from pointless internet surfing, stupid television shows and the other countless things I do that have no point other than to waste my time.

I think focusing on relaxation would also help. DH and I have several television shows we like to watch, which is relaxing (especially when we tivo through the commercials). However, I sometimes complicate this precious relaxation time by trying to get work done during the show. As a result, I am neither relaxing or getting work done, because I'm just not fully focused on either. Better to work when it's time to work, and relax when it's time to relax. Both things deserve my attention when it's their time.

And what can I do for relaxation besides watch tv? Behold!

Yes, that is the soaker tub in my bathroom. I intend to use it.

And then there are my back issues of MSL, some of which I don't yet have fully commited to memory. They might join me in the tub.


As far as Martha's plan for healthy living goes, I am falling short. In some areas (exercise), this matters. In other areas (morning juice, anyone?), it doesn't matter at all. Going forward, these are the areas I will concentrate on to become more like Martha:


1. Exercise. Time is always an issue, but I have a fitness DVD on the way. My goal is to work out for 30 minutes every day.

2. Water. I need to drink more of it, whether it's infused or not.

3. Calender. I need to resurrect my mad planning skillz and get back to using a planner. If nothing else, I need it to remember important dates (Happy belated birthday to Wendy J.!) and meetings.

Falling short of Martha's plan for healthy living is disheartening. But now I know how she makes it work and I'm using her ten steps to formulate my own plan for healthy living. With these secrets, I too can be on my way to world-domination. Bwahahaha! That's me laughing. Heartily.

4 comments:

P-town Tom said...

#10 is my favorite Martha step. It's also one that I must find time for or else I become very grumpy. Good luck in your quest!

Anonymous said...

Not sure if you're a fan of hot beverages, but this time of year, I like to drink hot water- helps me stay warm AND increases my water intake. (And it's good for the bowels.) You can infuse with lemon if you wish. Try a mug while you're in the soaker tub flipping through old MSLs! Good luck with your goals! L

Anonymous said...

Oh, that tub is DIVINE! Jeff and I are both bath-takers, always have been. I'd like to recommend my favorite bath additive (if you don't already use it): Vaseline Moisturizing Bath Beads. It's the least expensive bath product (about $2.00) that brings me the most joy!

Sarah Eliza @ devastateboredom said...

Love the blog, and the breakdown of the Martha tips. I'll definitely be trying to keep up with your posts. :)

PS, do you mind if I "borrow" your tagline for your followers on my own blog? It's clever and made me laugh... if I can think of somewhere to credit you for it I will...