Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Martha homekeeping hint in action

This is a handy-dandy trick I've learned from Martha: how to get that stuck-on candle remnant out of the votive holder.

In the past, I would have used a table knife to scrape and pry the ends of that candle out of the holder. But no more! Thanks to Martha, I know to put that holder in the freezer for a few hours. The wax contracts, and the remnants slide right out.

This works for all kinds candle holders. I bet Martha has some super cool way to reuse the remaining wax by melting it for new candles, or molding it into bird shapes, or something fancy and crafty like that. For now, I'll just toss the remnants in the trash. Thanks for the tip, Martha!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the frosted candle holder would make a fine vessel for an ice cold beer! Laura

Queen said...

I save little leftover bits of candles and use them to lube up my quilting needles (quilting by hand only, don't try it with a sewing machine!).....sounds weird, but if you sew at all you know sometimes the needle gets tacky/sticky in the fabric and doesn't slide through nicely. if i drag the sides of the needle across a bit of candle wax it moves through the fabric much easier. leftover bits of glycerin soap work too!