Monday, June 28, 2010

Martha Monday--Beekeeping

Martha has several beehives on her property.  Her blog posts about maintaining the hives and the health of her bee colonies are really quite fascinating. 

This is Martha in her bee garb:


I've always liked bees (so industrious!) and honey (so tasty!).  In fact, the theme of my kitchen is bees and beehives--I'll share pictures of my favorite bee decorations on Friday.  In the interest of becoming more like Martha, I recently attended a beekeeping seminar taught by local beekeeper and entrepreneur Dr. Ed. Bell.  

No matter where you are in the U.S., all healthy honeybees should be producing honey by this time. If you get the chance, support your local beekeepers by buying honey and beeswax products. 


In the meantime, check out this recipe for Martha's Honey Cake with Carmelized Pears. This would be a great recipe to try with local honey.  Yum!

No comments: