Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Kids + Cupcakes = Fun!

For the BabyGirl's birthday party, I had a fun activity for the kids:  Decorate your own cupcake.  A friend of mine (Hi, Jean!) did this at one of her kids' parties and it turned out well.  I've been wanting to try it ever since, but a crazy inner dialogue got in the way. The Type A side of my personality clashed heavily with my Mommy side. 


It went down like this:

Type A:  Let the kids decorate their own cupcakes?! Are you crazy?!
Mommy:  It will be fun!  I think they'll really enjoy it.
Type A: They'll make a huge mess! You'll be cleaning frosting off the ceiling for weeks!
Mommy:  It won't be that bad. I'll put down a plastic tablecloth and keep the wet wipes handy.  It will be fine.

Type A:  The kids are going to fight over the frosting! You'll have a food fight in 2 seconds!  You'll be cleaning food off the ceiling for weeks!
Mommy:  They won't fight. It will be fine.
Type A:  Seriously, I don't think you know what you are in for.  This is going to be a disaster.
Mommy: Seriously, you worry too much. This is going to be fun!


Thank goodness the Mommy side of me won out, because I did let the kids decorate their own cupcakes and they had a blast.  Take a look:







Originally, I thought this would appeal most to the younger kids. As it turned out, we had a high schooler in attendance, and when he saw how much fun the younger kids were having, he jumped right in and decorated his own cupcake.  How awesome is that?!  Of course, all the kids had to wait until after dinner to eat their creations.  They got their cupcakes as the larger cake was being dished out to the adults.

This activity was a huge success and surprisingly, there was very little mess to clean up.

Mommy:  See, I told you everything would be fine!
Type A:  *Dumbfounded silence*

No comments: