Friday, October 1, 2010

Falling into autumn

I finally got my fall decorations out...I was late doing this, but better late than never, right?

Wrong! At least it is for the TMI household, where there is a strict anal-retentive/must-be-perfect schedule for when seasonal/holiday decorations go up and come down. Ideally, I like to have my fall decorations out on Labor Day weekend. Of course, busy schedules and general exhaustion usually put a crimp in my otherwise well-laid plans. This year, I'm just glad I got them out by my birthday. Any later and I wouldn't have bothered...because then it would be time for Halloween decorations.

Which will go up right after Columbus Day. And come down on November first, as Thanksgiving decorations go up. Just so you know.

I have two large vases filled with fake flowers. One goes in the dining room, and one stays in the kitchen. Granted, they are fake, but I think they look very cheery, so they are put out every year.


The mantel also gets dressed up. I have a strand of fake leaves all the way across, some ceramic and paper craft pumpkins on the corners, and my H O M E votives in the middle. They are filled with apple-cinnamon scented candles. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.





Even the half bathroom on the first floor gets the seasonal treatment. Fall-themed hand towels come out, and another (fake) flower arrangement for the toilet tank.


Finally, the squirrel hangs out next to the faucet. He's a wicker basket filled with (fake) mini gourds and pumpkins. Very whimsical...wouldn't you agree?

Plus, he'll bite you if you don't wash your hands properly.
I'm not sure about his rabies status. Just so we're clear on that.

No comments: