Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Cake calamity

For the Little Guy's first birthday party, I did a freestyle cake using no pictures, no patterns...I relied just on my imagination. You can see it here.

For the next party, I had found an awesome cake in the 2007 Wilton Yearbook that I had to make. With the Little Guy's love for vehicles and the mythical "downtown," I knew this cake would be perfect:


Isn't it awesome?! Now, let's think realistically about this...what are the odds that I could make something that even resembled this? Um, since I am not a professional baker or cake decorator, nor did I even read the directions on how to make the cake until the day of the party, the odds were quite slim. However, the reality of the situation didn't hit me until an hour before the party when I started to put the cookies on...but I digress. Here's the process:


I baked a cake. I don't own a round graduated cake pan set, so I used a square set. How different could that be? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggghhhhhhhhht.

Then I frosted the cake. There were crumbs everywhere! Gah! No worries, I thought, the cookies will completely cover up the lousy icing job. Riiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggghhhhhhht.

I spent days making, baking and decorating the cookies. And it never occured to me that I should measure to account for scale/size in regards to the cake. Because that won't matter, right? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggghhhht.

Just doing the details on the cars, trucks, trains and planes took forever. It was at this point that I started to seriously question my judgement skills in picking this cake design to do. But it would still turn out fine, right?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggghhhhhhht.
I'll show you the finished product tomorrow.

No comments: