Thursday, November 19, 2009

Yummy cookies and baking with kids


I made Martha's Oatmeal Raisin Cookies for a recent family gathering.  I got the recipe from her Cookies book, but the same recipe is online here.



Martha's recipe calls for toasted wheat germ, but I used wheat bran.  And I didn't toast it.  Sometimes, I can be a real rebel.




As usual, the Little Guy helped.  His "help" is sometimes difficult to accept, especially when I am doing serious baking, but things go more smoothly when he is given specific tasks to do.  For example: dumping ingredients into the bowl and stirring are things he can handle. 



Additionally, we emphasize taking turns when it comes to stirring.  That way, the heavy mixing actually gets done.  Here, the Little Guy lets the Big Guy step in for a minute.



Now, I'm not sure if it's the recipe with, or in spite of, all the "help," but the cookies turned out so deliciously yummy.  Seriously.  These are hands down the best oatmeal raisin cookies I've ever made.  They spread out quite a bit when baking, so I was worried they would be crisp.  I needn't have worried.  The cookies were soft and chewy, every last one of them.




Make these cookies.  Do it now.  You'll thank me for it later!

1 comment:

Jamie @ I Am A Money Magnet said...

Aww! It looks like you had a good time making your cookies. I'm not a fan of fruit in my cookies, but your picture *almost* makes me wanna try them! ;)