Monday, October 24, 2011

Martha Monday--Curtains and cookies

Halloween is one week away...I'm so excited I can hardly stand it. This is such a fun time of year, and it will be even more so for us because Little Miss is really getting into the holiday.  She is enjoying all the bat and spider decorations, and the Little Guy is teaching her to say "Trick or Treat." I doubt she'll learn by next Monday, but it is a real joy to watch them practice "trick-or-treating" around the house.

This weekend, I put up a Witch's Curtain.  Here is what Martha's Witch's Curtain looks like: 


Martha's Witch's Curtain is made from a heavy-duty garbage bag--you can find the instructions here. The only black garbage bags I had on hand are the super-duper-heavy-duty contractor's bags, so I used a  plastic tablecloth from the Dollar Tree.  Here's my Witch's Curtain:


It's not quite the same, but I like the effect.  I used plastic hooks to hang it, but tape was also necessary to secure it to the porch area.


And with that, I am officially done decorating for Halloween!

I also managed to bake a batch of Martha's Pumpkin Cookies with Browned Butter Icing this weekend:


The Little Guy and Little Miss helped.




I've blogged about these cookies before. The recipe makes a tremendous amount--it says six dozen, and I get about seven dozen cookies each time I make it.  Also, the recipe calls for piping the batter onto the cookie sheet. I don't think this is necessary. I've tried both piping the batter and plopping it onto the sheet with a spoon, and both methods work equally well. Save yourself the clean-up and just use a spoon.



Only one more week until one of the funnest days of the year!  Happy haunting!

No comments: