Monday, May 18, 2009

Martha Monday!

Pie. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Especially apple pie. More mmmmmmmmm.


Martha's basic apple pie recipe is no different from any other basic apple pie recipe: sliced apples, cinnamon, sugar, a bit of lemon juice and a pat of butter, all piled together in a pie crust and baked until bubbly.



What does set Martha's pie recipes apart from others is the crust. Her basic pie dough is simple and easy. The more I make it, the more I like it. I'm still tweaking the amount of water I put in, but overall, I always have great results when I use this recipe.



One reason why I really like this recipe is that it's made in the food processor. Which goes right into my dishwasher.



Pulse the flour and sugar together, then add 2 sticks of butter. Pulse until the dough resembles small-to-medium size clumps. Then add the water. FYI: My dough looks dark because it is half white flour, half whole wheat flour. This did make it a bit tougher to work with, but the end result was still very tasty.


Isn't this a beautiful pie dish? I like to use this for all of my pies. Unless I'm making 10, and then I'm scrambling for foil pie plates. Anyways, this is from Ayers Pottery in Hannibal, Missouri. And shout out to Aunt Linda! It was a gift from her.


Finally, in true Martha Initiative fashion, I put my own spin on things:



Seriously, try this pie dough recipe today! Or, whenever you next need a pie crust. Whatever is convenient for you. Just try it!

1 comment:

Chicagolandia said...

This is a great idea for all those free apples from Target. I love apples, they are my favorite fruit!