Thursday, May 14, 2009

Bathroom linen closet

Okay. Deep breath. Here is it, in complete honesty, for my readers: I have teeny tiny issue with stuff.



Okay. Honesty, Amanda, honesty.



I love stuff. Especially the essential kind of stuff that goes in a house. I don't care if it's shampoo, toilet paper, aluminum foil, pasta, whatever--I love it and I want 12 of it in my house at all times. Which helps to explain why I shop so much. It's to get stuff. Household stuff. For the house.


Did I mention I love stuff?

Now that that's out in the open (I feel so much better!), let's take a look at my bathroom linen closet before I decided to crack down on the disorganization.





You can see a semblance of organization. But then the shave gel was free at Walgreens. And then came the Pantene and Aveeno shampoo/conditioners from CVS. And then double coupon week at KMart. Things quickly spiraled out of control.




My solution? No, not to stop shopping, you silly goose! It was to get organized. And get some plastic bins to organize and store all of these personal hygiene products.




I did come to my senses a bit: my goal is to not outgrow this space. Currently, I estimate that I have at least a two year supply of shampoo, conditioner, lotion, body wash, shave gel, shampoo-conditioner-in-one, toothbrushes, floss and toothpaste. Anything more than that is probably unnecessary.



Which brings me to the bin on the floor of the linen closet. That is my donation bin. If I have too much of something, it goes in there for someone else. When the bin gets full (which should be in another week or two), stuff will get bundled up and shipped off.





Oooohhh! Giving to others and organization! I'm overcome with warm fuzzies and giddiness. I wonder if Martha feels like after she organizes her linen closet?

3 comments:

Helen said...

You have the same bins I do! Isn't it annoying how later on you want to add more baskets and they don't make the exact same ones? I have those white ones with the gray handle, the smallest size. I went for more at Target and had to buy those blue ones :) So I had to shift my organization so that the two white ones were together in the closet and the blues under the sink LOL

Chicagolandia said...

Great job at organization - once i'm settled I'll be picking your brain for ideas. Especially after I get stocked up again!

Sarah Eliza @ devastateboredom said...

Awesome! That's what I need to graduate to... being organized enough to be able to donate the extras. :) That will be my new goal... exciting!