Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Delicious and easy zucchini pizza

Today, we have a guest post from my BFF Laura.  You might remember Laura from past posts such as "My best friend Laura convinced me to redo the kids' bathroom only weeks after having a c-section, and then skipped town" and "I try to be just like Martha Stewart, but my best friend Laura totally kicks my ass in the crafting department."  Good times. 

************************************************************************

As Martha-in-training has pointed out, this is the time of year when the abundance of zucchini seems less like a splendid bounty and more like a horticultural coup. Most gardeners know that summer squash, cucumbers, and zucchini are most flavorful and tender when they are small, but who hasn’t discovered a gargantuan fruit hiding under the foliage and wondered what to do with such a behemoth?


Today, as guest blogger, I bring you a delicious, nutritious solution to zucchini largesse- the zucchini pizza! By replacing dough with with slices of zucchini, you increase vegetable consumption (a good thing!), decrease carbohydrates, and use up the Godforsaken garden mammoths.


This really is as simple as it looks, and no rise time is needed for this dough-less delight. I found the leftovers to reheat well, maybe even better than the day they were made.

Ingredients:

Large zucchini

Garlic olive oil

Prepared pizza sauce

Selection of cheeses (I used fresh mozzarella, Monterey jack, and grated parmesean)

Sliced turkey pepperoni (optional)

1. Slice zucchini widthwise into ¼ -inch rounds. Brush both sides with olive oil and broil (or grill) until barely softened (5 min in my broiler). Flip and broil the other side until barely softened.(another 4-5 minutes)

2. Remove from oven or grill. Spoon pizza sauce over zucchini rounds and then top with small amounts of the cheeses and pepperoni.

3. Return to broiler for a few minutes until cheese is melted and slightly browned.

4. Serve and enjoy!

1 comment:

evonne said...

I wish my husband would touch any sort of food that didn't at one point say Moo. This is the sort of thing I would live on.