Monday, August 15, 2011

Martha Monday--Zucchini galore!

My zucchini plant has done well (despite the fact that I've never grown it before), which shouldn't surprise me because zucchini is like the cockroach of the garden...it does well whether you want it to or not.  I've heard tales of how prolific zucchini is, but I'm still shocked at how fast those things grow!  I'm picking at least two each week, and that's just off of one plant. Amazing!

This summer, I've had plenty of sauteed zucchini (this is how I prefer it as a side dish) and I've given some away, but now it's getting hard to keep up with my plant's output.  To use a bunch up at once, this weekend I made a double batch of Martha's Zucchini Spice Bread


I made a regular size loaf for the TMI household.  Note: the recipe calls for baking it 1 hour and 10 minutes, but I burnt the sides with that amount of time...my point is: start watching it at the 50 minute mark.  I also made four mini-loaves for friends and neighbors. 


Then, because I still had grated zucchini left, I made Martha's chocolate-zucchini cupcakes.  Yum!


Of course, even though I only have one zucchini plant, I am still swimming in it. There's a huge zucchini waiting for me at home, and here's what I plan to do with it:


This is Martha's Salmon and Zucchini Baked in Parchment.  My plan is to modify the recipe a bit by wrapping it in foil so it can go on the grill. 

And, with any leftover zucchini I might have, I'll give these Zucchini Nut Bread Cookie Sandwiches a try:


I'm guessing those two recipes can be done with the ginourmous specimen that's on my kitchen counter right now. But for tomorrow's zucchini, and the zucchini from the day after that, I'm going to give these Sweet Zucchini Cupcakes....




With all this zucchini on my hands, you might wonder if I'm tiring of it.  Not all all!  In fact, next year's garden plans call for THREE zucchini plants.  Zucchini for everyone!

2 comments:

Dora said...

You almost--almost--make me want to add zucchini to my garden. But I am still not sure about the combo of chocolate and zucchini.

Amanda Grant said...

Thanks for stopping by, Dora! Believe me, I was apprehensive about the zucchini/chocolate combo too, but it is amazing! You really can't taste the zucchini. Give it a try!