Friday, March 11, 2011

Kitchen herbs

After going to the seminar "Herbs for the Kitchen" at my local library, I was inspired to grow some herbs on my kitchen windowsill.  This was the perfect project for my favorite helper, My Little Guy.



To minimize any mess, we did this on the kitchen counter next to the sink.  And by minimize, I mean "keep potting soil far away from Little Miss and my carpet."  The Little Guy scooped out the soil with a measuring cup.


The pots I chose are small for growing herbs, but they fit perfectly on the kitchen windowsill.  I'm sure they'll need to be transplanted into larger containers in a few months, if they live that long. Quite honestly, I don't have much of a green thumb.


The Little Guy took this task very seriously--he was very excited about planting something and watching it grow.


So we could keep the pots straight, I put labels on each one.


We planted thyme, rosemary, oregano and basil.  I'm so excited to be growing my own herbs!


Of course, right now all I'm looking at is pots of dirt. But for me, and the Little Guy, the possibility of something more happening in a few weeks is quite thrilling.  This was a fun mother-son project. 

Happy Friday!

No comments: