Friday, March 12, 2010

Pantry makeover

I love my pantry.  It's a walk-in, and by that, I mean it's big enough that the Big Guy and I can take turns standing inside to hide our cookie consumption from the Little Guy.  Don't get me wrong, the Little Guy gets the occasional cookie, but there are only so many Girl Scout Thin Mints to go around, you know?
Anyways, the pantry had gotten a bit disorganized in recent months.  (Tilt your head 90 degrees to the right to get the full effect--sorry for the sideways picture.)  Cereal and crackers are on the top shelves, which makes absolutely no sense in a household where there's a two-year-old who only wants to eat crackers and cereal. 

Here's more proof things are out of control:  one shelf contained canned goods, bread, chips, syrup and noodles.  And to think I consider myself an organizational maven.


Plus, there was a great deal of wasted space toward the ceiling. 


Not a good thing.  Clearly, something had to be done.

I started with a semi-detailed plan of where items should go, and as I emptied the pantry, any expired items went straight into the trash can. 


The Big Guy installed two more shelves at the top of the pantry, allowing me to fit in items that I don't use often but want easy access to.  Additionally, everything was rearranged so that items I don't use often are up top, items the Little Guy will want are within his reach, and items for easy meal planning are mostly at eye level. 

For the full finished product, tilt your head 90 degrees to the right.


Overall, this project took only one afternoon. It was well worth it...the pantry is now a much more enjoyable place to hide while eating cookies.  I might even have room to fit a recliner in there now. ;)

No comments: