Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Homemade applesauce

Apples don't last forever, and in my house store-bought apples lose their appeal after a few days. So why I continue to buy them in five pound bags is beyond me. But I abhor waste, so the weeks-old apples, by now all shrively and soft, have to be eaten.

But what to do with these apples that no one will eat so that everyone will want to eat them?

Homemade applesauce FTW. Aw yeah!


Making homemade applesauce is a breeze. So easy, in fact, that I didn't even use a recipe.  I just made it. Here are the steps:

1. Peel, core and dice apples. How many apples? That's up to you--it depends on how much applesauce you want.
2. Put the diced apples in a saucepan, cover with water and boil until soft.
3. When the apples are fork-tender, drain the water and dump the apples into a food processor.
4. Process those apples!
5. Add some cinnamon and sugar.  How much?  That's up to you!
6. Add some lemon juice. An amount somewhere between a teaspoon and a tablespoon. Or not.  It's totally up to you.
6. Process some more.


Once the apples are smooth, it's ready to eat! Or, if you prefer warm applesauce, return it to the saucepan and heat it up for a minute or two.


It's delicious!  And so much better than the stuff that comes in the little plastic cups.  I'm looking forward to batches and batches of homemade applesauce when our apple trees start producing, but until then, I'll satisfy the craving with all of the on-the-brink-apples already in my kitchen.

Which I continue to buy.  In five pound bags.  Sigh.

No comments: