Thursday, March 1, 2012

Farm fresh desserts

After four years and approximately fourteen kids' birthday parties, I finally got around to making a fun and pretty backdrop for the dessert table.


Handy Freddy hung two dowel rods from the ceiling. One was draped in crepe paper streamers, and the other held the rooster, pig and duck face balloons.  The balloons, by the way, are just regular old latex balloons with faces drawn on them. Oriental Trading sells stickers that make the faces, but quite frankly I didn't want to spend the money. I drew the faces on with permanent marker instead.


Just like the appetizer and main course menus, I made one menu for the dessert table rather than a half-dozen individual labels. 

Here are my homestead cookies:




I coated some pretzel rods in Wilton candy melts to make "cow tails" and displayed them in Golden Harvest mason jars.

I attempted to make Bakerella's cake balls, and then attempted to make them look like eggs.  It didn't work, but it was cute and tasty, and that's really all that matters.  Cake balls baffle me. I've tried to make them twice now and I always have a problem getting the consistency just right so that they don't fall apart in the candy coating.  I'll keep trying, though!


Using the twisted krispie recipe, I tried to cut out the treats in the shape of pigs. I had a hard time getting the cutter through the mixture, though, so I abandoned that idea early on and just cut the treats into squares.  See the little pink krispie pig at the top? He's the only one that got made. Sniffle.


And then there were Martha's corn-on-the-cob cupcakes.


Tomorrow, I'll show you the cakes.  Yes, 'cakes' is plural.  Three birthday parties equals three different cakes, though that was the only part of the dessert table that changed.  All the other farm fresh treats stayed the same...newly made for each party of course, but the same in recipe and concept.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You did an awesome job! Especially like the cookies and pretzels.

Amanda Grant said...

Thanks! I appreciate your encouragement! And I have to do decorated cookies to match the occasion whether I want to or not...it's like a sickness. :)

Claudia said...

To make cake balls stay together, break up the baked sheet cake and mix it with one tub of frosting. It'll make them moist on the inside and generally delicious.