Thursday, March 22, 2012

Starting from seed

Last year, all my vegetable plants (with the exception of pole beans) entered my life as seedlings. This year, almost everything will be from seed.  I bought seeds for Little Miss's farm birthday gardening activity, and once I started planting them, it just seemed the route to go for this year's garden.

Twelve days ago the kids and I started our King of the North pepper seeds from Seed Savers


We used a Burpee seed starting kit I bought on clearance at the end of last season. It came with these fun pellets of seed starter mix that expanded once they were wet. 


Clearly, it was really entertaining to watch them expand. The process was quite interesting.


Once the pellets had expanded, we planted the seeds. I let the kids do this part and they had a lot of fun.


So now we have 25 pepper seeds planted, and hopefully all of them will germinate and grow into fine seedlings and plants. 


I'm not sure I'm a start-from-seed gardener, but I have high hopes for this method.  After all, I'm totally thrilled with how my first two homegrown projects are turning out.


Have a great weekend, everyone!

No comments: