Monday, December 19, 2011

Martha Monday--Whoopie!

Whoopie! Christmas is almost here, making it the perfect time for Christmas Whoopie pies. Yum!


I followed Martha's directions for chocolate Whoopie pies. For the filling, I whipped up a quick buttercream (one stick butter, 3 cups powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons milk...more or less) and added 2 teaspoons of peppermint extract and pink food color.



To up the peppermint flavor, I rolled the sides in crushed candy canes.



Martha's recipe claims to make 24 sandwiches, but I easily got 27...and as you can see, these were huge Whoopie pies!  The next time I make this recipe, I'll halve the ingredients and make smaller cookies for the sandwiches to make the Whoopie pies more bite-size.


These chocolate-peppermint Whoopie pies are a great offering for a Christmas party.  If you have the time (because we all have oodles of spare time just before Christmas, right?) and need a show-stopper dessert for a party, give these Whoopie pies a try!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw an entire cookbook of whoopie pies at target the other day. Did I miss the fad? L

Amanda Grant said...

You did miss the fad. Whoopie pies were the thing decades ago, and now they are back. Whoopie! But seriously, it's like two small cakes held together with icing...what's not to love?!