Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Martha's Peppermint Chocolate Cake

Several weeks ago, I mentioned incorporating Martha's peppermint chocolate cake into my Christmas menu.  Here's how her cake looks: 



I was able to make it for Christmas.  The Little Guy helped.  We made it the day before serving.



I poured the peppermint chocolate frosting on the day of.



I used crushed peppermint candies for garnish. 



Overall, I thought the cake was a bit dry.  Everyone seemed to like it though, and it was a great pairing for peppermint ice cream. 



The icing is out of this world though, and would be delicious poured over ice cream or used for hot chocolate or coffee.  I'm not giving up on this recipe, though, and I may give it another try around Valentine's Day. 

If you give this a try, please let me know how it goes!

2 comments:

cake decorating books said...

Lovely, i once made a peppermint cake and made a creamy layer of filling and adding creme de menthe liquor to it, made it a very cool green color :)

Deb from cake decorating books

teryn j. said...

Man, screw that cake*; that pic of the Little Guy has my heart melting. He's SO cute. I wish I'd made it out on New Year's to meet him.

* And, I love cake. Especially chocolate cake. I can't believe I spoke ill of cake.