Monday, January 16, 2012

Martha Monday--Hot spinach dip

With "try new dinner recipes" as a New Year's resolution, it seems only fitting that a few new dessert and appetizer recipes would be included.  Last Friday I made Martha's Hot Spinach Dip for the ladies at BUNCO.  It was very tasty!


The recipe calls for 2 pounds of fresh spinach, but I used 1.5 pounds of frozen spinach and it worked just fine. If you go that route, thaw and drain the spinach before mixing it in with the garlic and onions.  Then, skip the draining step as stated in the recipe.


Before I made the recipe, I read several of the comments.  A few commenters mentioned adding water chestnuts and artichoke hearts to kick the recipe up a notch, so I followed their advice.


I think both the water chestnuts and the artichoke hearts were nice, healthy additions to the recipe.


The addition of the artichoke hearts and water chestnuts evened out the absence of the half-pound of spinach, so everything still fit nicely into a 9x13 casserole dish.


Here it is after 20-25 minutes in the oven.  I served it with Triscuits.  Yum!


While this is a great appetizer recipe as it is written, it was a little short on "creamy" for me. Next time, I'll use more milk and double the amount of cream cheese the recipe calls for.  I'm sure the TMI household will be seeing more of this hot spinach dip in the future. Hooray for new recipes!

No comments: