Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Honey honey

Did you know that September is National Honey Month?  I'm a big fan of honey, buying local and bees, so this is right up my alley. Honey is my preferred topping for toast, and since I'm also a big fan of toast, I go through a lot of honey.


This summer I was able to get my hands on several kinds of local honey.  I purchased this honey, from Lorence's Honey Bee Haven of Aurora, at Soup to Nuts in Geneva.  I'm almost to the end of the one pound jar, and believe it or not, I plowed through that in less than two months. THAT'S HOW MUCH I LOVE HONEY.


Next up is honey from the Cook-DuPage Beekeeping Association. This is a recent purchase so it's not open yet, but I'm looking forward to it!


Finally, I have a jar and bottle from my favorite beekeeper Dr. Ed Bell of Belfry Bees Honey. I purchased both at the West Galena farmers market here in Aurora.  Note to self: stop by there tomorrow and pick up some more!


This 2.5 pounds of honey is enough to last me through February, I hope.  And the great thing about honey is that it never goes bad, so stocking up can really pay off.  Since the Big Guy won't let me have a beehive, I consider myself very fortunate to have so many suppliers of local honey in the area. 

Celebrate National Honey Month by trying honey on toast or using it to sweeten up your favorite recipes. Find a local honey supplier here.  Happy honey-ing!

No comments: