Monday, November 22, 2010

Martha Monday--Pumpkin doughnut muffins

Is it a doughnut? Is it a muffin?  Either way, these pumpkin doughnut muffins are absolutely delicious.   This recipe is from the November issue of Everyday Food, and it is beyond.  Beyond!


Here's what you need to make the doughnut muffins:  all ingredients are pantry staples, except for the canned pumpkin and buttermilk. But, being as Thanksgiving is right around the corner, I had those on hand anyways.


The recipe says it makes 12, so I doubled it.  Instead of 24 muffins, I got 36!  There's something wrong either with Everyday Food math, or my muffin batter portions, and I'm not sure which it is.  No problem, though, because I am happy to have plenty of these on hand. 


The instructions say to brush melted butter on the muffin with a pastry brush and then cover it in cinnamon-sugar.  I couldn't find a pastry brush (though the Big Guy helped me look and I swear I have one somewhere!) so I simply dipped the tops in melted butter and dipped them in the cinnamon-sugar.  It worked out just fine.


Ultimately, I think simplifying that step decreased the messiness, which is always a good thing. Plus, the coating of butter/sugar/cinnamon on top was just the right amount of sweetness need to get this muffin into doughnut territory.


The muffin itself is delicious.  It is so moist and tender without being overly sweet.
 
Note to Starbucks, Dunkin' Donuts and whoever else tries to foist some kind of "pumpkin muffin/doughnut" on the public this time of year:  what you sell is not cutting it.  Give this recipe a try, and get rid of that cloyingly sweet crap you call "pumpkin".  This is what people want and deserve! Martha's pumpkin doughnut muffins for everyone!


The Little Guy had one right away.  I told him I was making them for my coworkers, and he was quite adamant that I "don't take these to work. These are for our house!"  Three-year-olds can be so demanding!


Thank goodness doubling the recipe actually tripled it.  I'll have enough for a yummy breakfast for myself and the Little Guy, and plenty left to share with the folks at work. 

Give this recipe a try! These pumpkin doughnut muffins are amazing!