Thursday, June 14, 2012

Summer reading, gladiator-style

The Aurora Public Library, like many libraries, has a summer reading program for kids. You know how this goes, right?  Kids read a certain number of books (or in the case of non-readers, kids are read to for a certain number of hours) and they receive a prize when they meet the reading requirement. 

Last year, I signed the Little Guy up for this and we had a good time.  Prizes included pencils, bookmarks and coupons for free dinner items at local restaurants.  It was nice.   

This year, I learned that the APL also has a summer reading program for adults.  Adults have to read six books for an entry into a Grand Prize drawing, and there's something in there about receiving a free book.  Each person can enter the Grand Prize drawing up to four times.  

Now, I don't know what the Grand Prize is nor do I care. I do know that the adult summer reading program gives me the chance to read (which I like to do anyways) on a competitive level.  Competitive reading...isn't that awesome?

Finally, a sport at which I can excel.

The contest, er...reading program, started on June 4 so I am a little behind.  Here's my first stack:


First up is Jenny Lawson's Let's Pretend This Never Happened.  Jenny Lawson is The Bloggess, and if you don't read her blog I suggest you start immediately. 


The Aurora Public Library is having a book discussion for The Zookeeper's Wife in mid-July.  I am thinking of going not to discuss the book, but to check out my competition. I'm hoping to intimidate my fellow reading gladiators by convincing them that not only am I a better/faster/more awesome reader, but that I will win this competition OR ELSE.  My intimidation plan so far includes bringing a huge stack of books to the discussion group, opening them all and reading a bit from each before switching over to another.  I will occasionally, randomly and dramatically slam one shut and scream at my competitors "Another book bites the dust. IN YOUR FACE!"

That sounds intimidating, right? I just don't want to be too over the top and scare someone out of the competition.  When I win, I want my victory to be over thousands of fellow area readers, not just a few people who didn't attend the discussion that day and weren't able to witness my gladiator-level reading skills. Please let me know if this intimidation plan seems like too much.


Candy Construction, while on my reading list, will not be used in my intimidation plan.  Can you imagine how embarrassing it would be to be screaming "IN YOUR FACE" and then someone would be all "But you're reading about candy construction!?" 

How can I intimidate competitors with a book featuring edible crafts including this totally adorable rice krispie treat pirate ship (which is perfect for the Little Guy's 5th birthday, by the way)?  The answer: I can't.  And that's why Candy Construction will be read in the privacy of my own home.


So that's my Phase One reading for the Adult Reading Program: Literate Gladiator competition.  Though I have yet to log a book, I feel really confident in my ability to kick ass in this contest. Wish me luck, dear readers!

Unless you are a competitor, in which case....IN YOUR FACE!

Have a book suggestion for me?  I'd love to know what's on your summer reading list! Let me know in the comments.  Happy reading!

No comments: