Thursday, May 5, 2011

Labels and dates

During the most recent expedition to my basement for a sorting/organizing/purging session, I did something I should have done long ago...I labelled boxes. 

Yep, that's right: a Martha-Stewart-wannabe had not been labelling boxes in her own basement.  The horror!

And why hadn't I been labelling boxes?  Because I always think I will remember what is in them.  And do I ever remember?  No.  No, I do not.

As a result, I go through the same boxes again and again when I am looking for things. And each time, the angel on my right shoulder says "You should really label these boxes."  To which the devil on my left shoulder replies "Nah! You'll totally remember what is in each and every single box.  All 300 of them!"

And guess which one I believe every time?  Well, no more. I finally labelled boxes after I was done sorting and organizing the contents. Take a look:



Not only did I label the boxes with the contents, but I also included the date I labelled them. Now I know when this box of photo albums was sorted, and I can move on with my life. 

The little devil on my left shoulder has been stunned into silence.  I'm enjoying the quiet.

No comments: